Pages

Safe and Sound

"I remember tears streaming down your face When I said, I'll never let you go When all those shadows almost killed your light. I remember you said, Don't leave me here alone. But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight. Just close your eyes The sun is going down You'll be alright No one can hurt you now Come morning light You and I'll be safe and sound"
-Taylor Swift

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Wait

The butterflies are on full flutter mode now. Its so annoying, they just won't stop. Flitter Flutter. All day long. Of course, these are imaginary butterflies. I found out last night that I was for a fact going to Russia. It will be sometime in the next two weeks I can say. No absolute dates yet though.
     I can just imagine smiles of the orphans. Smiles of me, even. I'm making video "Diaries" of me in various places in Russia. This girl right here cannot wait. I just wish I could get there sooner. I can't wait to see St. Basils, Red Square, and most importantly, The orphanage.
     I also can't wait to see the kids at the school. Keri said that they probably want me to present there, give a little show about what lifes like in America. I'll take pictures of our house, my school, friends, the park and everything else that we Americans do on a daily basis. I get the jitters just thinking about it. Its a good jitter though.
     On another note, My passport came in the mail today. That means I can officaialy leave the country now. Though, do you need a passport to swim in the ocean? Your leaving the country then, are'nt you? Whatever. I can't wait to get that "Moscow"  stamp in the book. Its exiting.
     Soon, I'll get to meet everyone in this picture. All of them! Its just a dream come true. Or, more than a dream come true. Its a dream, a reality, and a hope come true. Its love, Amor. Adoration. Bliss. Joy, Happiness. Amazment. Its a feeling that you can't just think of. Its the right before you go o Disneyworld feeling. To me, this orphanage is better than Disneyworld.
      Multiple people have ordered sock animals for the orphans. I need to make and bring 35 of them, and give them to the kids. If anyone would like to, you can let me know who to give it to, and you can pay eithe in cash if I know you, see you and come in contact with you, or, you can pay here, on Keri's blog. I honestly can't wait. That anxiety last night, nowhere near what is to come. Here's a preview of all of the sweethearts I get to meet, cuddle with and talk to.

Lots of kids!


     While at Nastia's and Keri's today, we mde a list of all of the things we will do on the 10 1/2 hour plane ride to London, then the 2 hour flight to Moscow. Here it is.
First hour: Fantasize about what fun we will have.
Second Hour: Play cards
Second and a half hour: Write a book
Fourth Hour: Watch "A Charlie Brown Halloween"
Fifth hour: Read
Sixth hour: Attempt to learn Russian through my book
Seventh Hour: Try to fall asleep
Ten and a halfhour: Get off plane, spend 4 hours at airport (Its more like a museam...or so I've heard)
Twelveth hour: Board Plane to Moscow
Fourteenth hour: Wake up in Moscow, exhausted
Fifteenth hour: Get into a bed and SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!

     Thats pretty much our plane ride expedition. But, It will get me to the orphanage, won't it?


If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace.
John Lennon


Its so exiting just thinking about it! The happiness of everyone, the very pretty language. Playing "Poopsick" with all the little girls. (poopsick means babydoll, fyi.)
     I also have one of those large Uhaul boxes stuffed to the brink with stuff for the orphanage. My list of what to bring staarted like this:
     Clothes:
7 shirts
4 pants
2 pairs of shoes
North Face Jacket
5 pairs of socks
9 pairs of underwear
1 Bathing Suit



But then it changed to
2 Shirts
2 pants
2 pairs of shoes
North Fce Jacket (Wear onto plane)
3 pairs of socks
3 underwear
And then to
2 shirts
1 pair of pants
1 pair of shoes
2 pairs of socks
2 underwear

I'm going to wash everything every two days, its not like I'm going to see anybody I know there! Plus, a very wise person told me, "Every one thing that you bring for yourself, id one less thing you can bring for the orphanage" so true.
     Also, my "Other stuff" has shranken alot too. It started as:
Sheet (The sheets there are pretty itchy)
Toothbrush
Hairbrush
Towels
Orphanage Stuff
Stuffed animal
Shampoo
Moisterizer
Letters for Genya
Bathing Suit
Toothpaste.



But then changed into
Toothbrush
Hairbrush
Orphanage stuff
Shampoo
Letters for Genya
Toothpaste

See? The less you bring, the more you can give!
Well, off to make a birthday card for my friend

7 comments:

  1. I want everyone I know to read this:) BTW, I know you wrote this a few days ago, so you DI know the dates now! Also, its 7.5 hours to London, then a 2 hour wait, then a little over 4 hours to Moscow. A little easier than the usual 10 plus straight hours to Moscow!

    Counting the days with you!
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget, I'm so happy for you! I wish I could hop in your suitcase; I love Russia so much!

    The people might seem a tad crabby, but they just don't have the habit of ACTING all friendly whether they feel that way or not. Rather, I think,they are taught to take their work very SERIOUSLY whether it is mopping the floor, selling groceries, or being a judge - all the same: important work!

    Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Bridget!! You have a Great Heart - never lose it!! Many blessings to you and your family!! Give the kids at the orphanage extra hugs for me too!! Take a lot of pictures!!

    Best Wishes,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridget, I think we can squeeze 2 pairs of pants for you into your backpack...you're pretty thin! And remember you can change your underwear by turning them inside out! (did I just embarrass you? ha!)
    I'm so proud of you, and am so happy to be sharing this endeavor with you!
    I can't wait for you to meet "G"!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zhenya stole my heart, too. Hug her extra for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bridget -- I am a Canadian adoptive mom to two amazing brothers from Ukraine. We adopted them in 2005 when they were 3.5 and 5.25. So I have a special place in my heart for older kids in the eastern european orphanages. I have been so impressed by your dedication to making this trip a reality for yourself. I am so glad you're going, and I am so proud of your commitment. You are in for an incredible treat, even as you give this incredible treat to all those kids. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember too, you can bring a nicety or 2 then leave them for someone. Don't forget the Airborne, Tylenol and an oral digital thermometer.

    ReplyDelete